Back in April I built a wooden hatch over our roof access hole. The hatch has worked well, except for one small design flaw. I’d assumed that the 6 inch overhang at the end would be enough to stop the rain coming down through the gap. Sadly I was wrong. 😦
When the wind blows, the rain comes down at some serious angles, sometimes enough for it to find the gap. The other thing I hadn’t considered is that rain drops bounce when it rains really hard. So, even when they weren’t coming in directly they were sometimes bouncing off the roof and in!
My immediate solution was what I can only call “bodge-it and leg-it”! 🙂
I cut and taped up a piece of tarpaulin, and this worked like a charm. It had 2 major drawbacks though. Firstly it flapped like mad in the wind making a very irritating noise. Secondly it became clear the tarp (due to all the flapping) wasn’t going to last more than a few months.
Last week I felt ready to tackle the problem, having had a break from woodwork for a couple of months. I bought some more wood, corner braces, paint etc. and put together a new end piece with an
extra bit of wood at the end integrated rain deflector. Miri painted it over the weekend and today I installed it. Only time and torrential rain will tell if this is going to work, but it sure looks better than the ratty tarp! 🙂