For the last 2 years we’ve been saying “we really must head over to the east coast of the island and check it out”, and in all that time we’d only ever made it as far east as San Juan!
We put that right this past weekend by taking a short, 4 night vacation over in Fajardo. Highlights included…
* Kayaking in the bio-luminescent lagoon
* Hiking in the El Yunque rain forest
* Taking a tour of the Las Cabezas de San Juan nature reserve
Some quick facts;
* Fajardo’s Laguna Grande is one of only 5 locations on earth that has permanent (i.e. all year round) bio-luminescence and 3 of those are in Puerto Rico!
* El Yunque is the only rain forest in the United States forestry system.
* The lighthouse in the Las Cabezas de San Juan nature reserve is the second oldest lighthouse on the island (opened in 1882).
We also explored some of the beaches along the east coast. It was a nice relaxing long weekend, but we were glad to get home. Our overall impression… we’re happy we chose to live on the west coast! 🙂